Frequently Asked Questions
Can I visit the club?
Yes. If you are interested in renting our venue, please fill out our Rental Inquiry From on our website and someone will contact you to schedule a tour.
Where can we park during an event?
- We only have on-street parking (2-hour limit on weekdays from 8am to 4pm; no limit on week-ends) but we have space for 2 vehicles on our driveway for caterers only.
- There are public parking garages within a few blocks (up to 3-hour of free parking on weekdays from 8am to 4 pm; no limit on week-ends; one-day permits available)
- Day permits may be purchased on the 1st level of the Cowper/Webster garage or Bryant/Lytton garage or at City Hall (ground level, Revenue Collections). Cost is $25.00/day (July 2017). We do not have access to any discounts.
- Below are some local Valet Parking companies that serve Palo Alto. Contact them to inquire about rates
Can we rent the Woman's Club for event honoring minors such as a Bar Mitzvah, Quinceañera, or Birthday?
No, we only rent for events whose honorees are 18 or older. Children and teenagers are of course welcome to attend wedding receptions, memorial services, and birthday parties of relatives or family friends.
How late can we play music?
We are located in a residential neighborhood. You may play loud music until 10pm, but after 10pm, music should be acoustic and/or at a reasonable volume.
Do you provide audiovisual equipment?
As part of your rental package, you have access to:
- Two wireless microphones and one microphone stand
- Ceiling-mounted projector - VGA connection required (dongle connector/adapter required to connect to laptop for computer presentation)
- Ceiling-mounted pull-down screen (size 68" x 93")
- Audio jack
- Two 25' extension cords
Instructions on how to use the AV equipment will be provided at entry time.
Can I place a hold on a date?
After touring our Clubhouse, you can place a 7-day courtesy hold if you are planning to rent our venue. Holds expire after seven days if we have not received an application with payment.
Do you supply linens and china?
No, you are responsible for getting all your table setting supplies. See our Rental Information page for details on what is included in your rental package.
Do you recommend caterers?
We do not recommend or endorse any caterers but could provide you some names upon request.
Can I bring in food and prepare it for my event?
The Club prefers and recommends that you hire the services of a professional, licensed caterer. We may allow you to have food delivered but it must be discussed and agreed to at least 30 days prior to the event. If food delivery is authorized, cooking using the stovetop is not allowed and all garbage must be taken away (garbage cannot be put in any of the Club's bins).
Can we use candles?
You cannot use any open flame candles but you can use electric candles, votive candles, or hurricanes that contain the flame.
When and how do we pay the rental fee?
Payment is due when submitting your completed rental application. See our rental information page for more details on payment options.
- Payment options:
- Full payment (rental fee plus security deposit) is due 30 days prior to the event
- Partial payment (2 installments) carry a $200 convenience fee
- 50% of rental fee and security deposit + $100 due at reservation
- 50% of rental fee and security deposit + $100 due 30 days prior to the event
- Payment by Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) or check. We cannot accept credit card payments at this time.
Why do I need liability insurance and how do I get it?
For your protection and ours, the Woman's Club of Palo Alto requires all renters and catering companies to provide a general liability insurance that names the Woman's Club of Palo Alto as co-insured. The Certificate of Insurance must be received no later than 30 days prior to the event, which is also when the final payment may be due.
- The Woman's Club of Palo Alto must be named as co-insured on the policy
- The Event Date must be listed on the policy
- The policy must have the following coverage
- General Liability - $1,000,000
- Personal/Advertising Injury - $1,000,000
- General Aggregate - $2,000,000
- Damages to Premises -$100,000
- Alcohol Endorsement* - $1,000,000
*An Alcohol Endorsement coverage is required if alcohol will be served at the event. Note that alcohol may not be sold (i.e. "no host" bars are not allowed). Alcohol may not be served to minors.
How to get coverage:
- Purchase special event policy online. Many of our renters have found this approach to be the most convenient and least expensive way to get coverage. We do not recommend or endorse any specific insurers but below are two companies that you may want to consider:
- (OR) Contact your homeowner's or renter's insurance company to see if you can add event coverage (including alcohol) to your existing policy.
What are your cancellation terms and conditions?
- Full refund (rental fee and security deposit) if cancellation occurs 91 days or more before the event
- 50% refund of rental fee and full refund of security deposit if cancellation occurs between 31 and 90 days before the event
- No refund of rental fee and full refund of security deposit if cancellation occurs 30 days or less before the event
- Convenience fees for partial payment or processing fees are not refundable.
Do you offer discounts to non-profit organizations?
Unfortunately, we are unable to give discounts as the rental fees pay for the maintenance of our historic property.