Where are we going?
Sept. 9, 2016
The Legion of Honor in SF for “Wild West: Plains to the Pacific”. If you are a museum member, please bring your card so others can get in free. Lunch on your own at the museum cafe. Meet at Cal Ave train station for a prompt 9am departure. TOTAL COST $32.
Oct. 7, 2016
Cantor Art Center “Soulmaker: The Times of Lewis Hine” (NOTE DATE CHANGE AND TIME CHANGE! 1st Friday, NOT 2nd Friday). We’ll have a wonderful private tour and lecture by exhibit curator and Stanford Arts and Humanities Professor, Alex Nemerov. No bus. Lunch on your own at the museum cafe. Meet at the Cantor at 11:40 (NOTE later start time!). Read about Professor Nemerov with the links below - this will be a fabulous lecture and not-to-be-missed! TOTAL COST $25
Click for more about Professor Nemerov
And click for even MORE about Professor Nemerov!
Nov. 11, 2016
Rosie the Riveter Museum, Richmond. Private ranger-led tour; lunch at restaurant Assemble. No museum/tour fee, but $5 donation suggested. We will need the bus for an extra hour for this trip because of the distance, so the bus fee November only is $37 per person. Lunch at Assemble, pre-paid for $35. Prompt departure at 8:30 am. NOTE - earlier time! and return at 3:30pm. TOTAL COST $72
Dec. 9, 2016
Docent tour of SF Mission Dolores followed by lunch at the fabulous Restaurant LuLu's on Folsom Street. LuLu's family-style meal has become a favorite of the Museum Friday ladies. This is our third year lunching at LuLu's! TOTAL COST $90. NOTE this date is also the WC Holiday Party.
Jan 13, 2017
Asian Art Museum for “The Rama Epic: Hero, Heroine, Ally, Foe”. Lunch on your own at the Asian Cafe. TOTAL COST $57
Feb 10, 2017
The de Young for “Frank Stella: A Retrospective” . Lunch on your own in the museum cafe. Bring your membership card and admit a WC friend for free! TOTAL COST $32
March 10, 2017
BAMPFA , the UC Berkeley Museum of Art and Pacific Film Archive for a great exhibit, “Hippie Modernism: The Struggle for Utopia” followed by lunch at the museum's Babette Cafe. Loosely organized around Timothy Leary’s famous mantra, “Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out,” the exhibition charts the evolution of the period, from pharmacological, technological and spiritual means to expand consciousness and alter one’s perception of reality. TOTAL COST $74
Click here for more information about this exhibit
April 14, 2017
SFMOMA here we come! Docent tour of the Doris and Donald Fisher Collection. Lunch on your own. SFMOMA on-site dining options - Cafe 5 (casual) and In Situ (reservation recommended). TOTAL COST $65
Museum Friday adventures! NEW 2016-2017 Schedule!
Once a month on the 2nd Friday, we take a private bus to a special exhibit. Your Museum Fridays organizers (Eileen Brooks, Ginny Bechtold and Donna Bohling) have planned trips and in some cases, a special lunch!
The facts .....
- Museum Fridays are almost always the 2nd Friday of each month, September through April.
- We hire a bus – no one has to drive, park or “ready” your vehicle for carpooling.
- Each excursion will depart from the Cal Ave train station, easy parking or walking. Most trips leave at 9am sharp and return at 3pm. Occasionally, this time changes depending on museum hours. You will get the correct time in an email before the trip.
- Whenever possible, a lunch reservation will be made for our group either at the museum or a nearby restaurant. Cost of lunches in restaurants will vary.
- Museums and venues will have an admissions charge. If you are a member, bring your card! Many museums will also let you take a guest in for free.
If this interest group is for you, please email Donna Bohling to be added to our list.
HOW CAN I GET A SEAT ON THE BUS?
- The bus fare to museums is $32 per trip and covers both getting to the museum and getting back to Palo Alto (round-trip).
- Bus fare must be paid 1 month in advance of the Museum Friday date. This is a requirement of the bus company to book the vehicle. We cannot refund cancellation less than 30 days from the trip.
- Make checks payable to Eileen Brooks, NOT to The Woman’s Club.. This is not a “money-maker”. Eileen will be charging the bus on her personal credit card. We are reimbursing Eileen, not the Woman’s Club.
- Mail or drop checks off at Eileen’s house - 780 Montrose Ave, PA 94303. Montrose Ave is across the street from Cubberly, on the other side of Middlefield.
- Include a note with your check specifying which Museum Friday dates you are buying your bus seat. You can buy on a month-by-month basis or you can sent a check to cover multiple dates. We need to know your dates so you will have a seat on the bus.